Membership Billing Runs are a critical part of maintaining your association's members in Rhythm. However, not all of your members will renew their membership each renewal cycle. Through billing runs in Rhythm, we are able to help your association efficiently manage this through our Drop/Terminate Expired Members action in a billing run. Here’s how:
- Instead of managing this process a member at a time, you can do it all at once in a single billing run
- You can streamline communication by notifying members who have lapsed that they’re about to lose access to benefits
- You can keep membership numbers up to date by dropping expired members in one bulk process
- You can revoke committee membership (and access to those documents) automatically once you process the drop
- You can automatically deactivate any associated certifications that require an active membership status
Note: When a member’s status is changed to inactive, they lose access to all member benefits - special member rates, premium content, access to communities…the list goes on.
It’s for that reason that Rhythm created a step in the process where we ask you to authorize the status change by dropping the member. Whether that’s immediately or after a few more attempts to revive the member, that’s up to you!
Determine a Membership Drop Process
Through billing runs in Rhythm, your association will have the ability to create a billing run from scratch or use a recurring billing run to drop members on a cadence. Once you determine the process that works best for your association, you can begin using the Drop/Terminate Expired Members action in a billing run to drop members once their membership has lapsed.
Drop/Terminate Expired Members Action
- Expiration dates: Search for members who have an expiration date within a relative date range. The actual dates will be filled in once a billing run has been scheduled using this template.
- Drop notice: Select one of the Billing Notice templates you created in Billing Setup to notify the member of their upcoming expiration. This allows you to have unique emails for different membership types in different phases of the membership journey. If you do not want to send a billing notice, simply leave the dropdown selection blank.
- Membership types: Segment the billing run by only including certain membership types.
- Membership packages: Segment the billing run by only including certain membership packages.
- Sub-status reason: Segment the billing run by only including certain sub-status reasons
- Committee memberships: Expire any associated committee memberships automatically
- Deactivate associated certifications: If any of your certifications require active membership for activation, select this option to automatically deactivate them.
Helpful hint: If you drop organizational memberships, Rhythm will also drop any individually inherited memberships associated with the organization.
Once you have dropped a member, their membership status will be updated to Inactive. On their record, you will see the status change as well as the date their membership was terminated.