Simplify your accounting with a direct integration between Rhythm and QuickBooks Online.
Note: We only support an integration with QuickBooks Online. If your organization uses QuickBooks Desktop, you will still need to download your batches to import into the FMS.
IN RHYTHM SETUP
- Log into Rhythm and navigate to Security + Settings > Integration > Intuit QuickBooks (under Finance Automation)
- This screen will show all available connections between QuickBooks and Rhythm. Click the "Create QuickBooks Account" button.
- You will be redirected to QuickBooks to authenticate with your email or user ID.
- After authentication, you will need to authorize the connection with Rhythm.
- Once complete, you will be redirected back to the Rhythm console. You will need to give a name to your QuickBooks account and determine which settings you would like to apply to the integration:
- Send Batch to QuickBooks Automatically on Post: After a batch has successfully posted, Rhythm will automatically send it to QuickBooks Online. (Optional)
- Delete Batch from QuickBooks Automatically on Unpost: When a batch is successfully unposted in Rhythm, we will attempt to remove this batch from QuickBooks. (Optional)
- Enable Connection: Enable the connection to this QuickBooks Online account to be used. (Optional)
- Notification Email: Rhythm will notify you when batches are pushed to QuickBooks successfully or when the operation fails. (Optional)
Helpful Hint: Please see the FAQ section of this article for more information.
Note: By default, the automated settings will be disabled. If you would like to use this feature, you must enable it in the integration settings.
- You also need to ensure your business unit is set up to send batches to QuickBooks Online. From the Finance + Billing app, select Setup from the left menu. From there, select Business Units.
- Select the business unit for which you will be sending the batches to QuickBooks Online.
- In the Financial Software Integration setup, set the Financial Management System (FMS) to QuickBooks Online.
CONFIGURATION FOR THE INTEGRATION
🛑 IMPORTANT 🛑 Rhythm does not sync G/L accounts to QuickBooks when sending the batches. Your G/L accounts need to be created in QuickBooks prior to sending batches. In Rhythm, the G/L Code should match the Account Number in the QuickBooks chart of accounts.
The integration will not create any G/L accounts prior to sending batches. This process must happen manually. If this is not done, you will see an error informing you that the account was not found. Please follow the directions below to enable account numbers in QuickBooks Online.
USING THE INTEGRATION IN RHYTHM
Once the QuickBooks account is set up, you can begin to use the integration. The settings you chose in the integration setup will determine how you can manage integrated batches.
Send Batch to QuickBooks Automatically on Post
- After you have successfully posted a batch in the Rhythm console, Rhythm will automatically send the batch to your QuickBooks Online account.
- If you enabled email notifications in the QuickBooks Online integration settings, you will be notified of successful and failed pushes to QuickBooks.
Delete Batch from QuickBooks Automatically on Unpost
- When this setting is enabled, the integration has the ability to remove a batch entry from QuickBooks Online when a batch is unposted in Rhythm.
- If you enabled email notifications in the QuickBooks Online integration settings, you will be notified of successful and failed removals.
Manually Send Batch Entries from Download Batch
If you did not enable automatic syncs with QuickBooks Online, you need to manually send batch entries from Rhythm to QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the Finance + Billing app and select Batches from the left menu.
- Select the batch you would like to sync with QuickBooks.
- Once the batch is opened, click the "Download this Batch" button. This will automatically send your batch to QuickBooks instead of manually downloading the file.
- Once the batch is sent successfully, you will get a notification in the console.
Q: Do I have to enable the automatic sync settings to use the Quickbooks Online integration?
A: No, this is a convenience and not required to send batch entries to Quickbooks Online. Please see the instructions to manually send batches provided above if you opt to not automate this process.
Q: Can I disable auto-removal when unposting a batch?
A: Yes, please go into your Quickbooks integration settings and disable “Delete batch from Quickbooks automatically on Unpost”. This does not affect auto-sending batch entries to QuickBooks as these are two different settings.
Q: What if I manually update the entry from within Quickbooks Online, does this affect the integration in any way?
A: You can manipulate the entry from your Quickbooks Online account. If you opted to delete the entry on unpost, this will still occur and any edits will be deleted. When re-posting the batch, the entry will be resent to Quickbooks Online.
Q: The batch I was posting failed - what do I do now?
A: If a batch fails to post, simply fix the issues and post the batch again. The Quickbooks Online integration only sends entries upon a successful posting of a batch. Similarly, the integration only removes entries when a batch has been successfully unposted.
Q: The batch posted, but I got an email that states account 12345 was not found. How do I rectify this?
A: Please follow the guide above to ensure “Account Numbers” are enabled within Quickbooks Online settings. Secondly, ensure account 12345 exists in your chart of accounts within Quickbooks Online. Once you have resolved the issue, follow the steps above to manually push the batch to Quickbooks Online. Even though it’s being manually pushed (via button push) when unposting the batch, it will be subject to removal from Quickbooks Online if the setting is enabled.
Q: I have several batches that are already posted. How will enabling auto post/unpost affect batches that have already been posted?
A: If you unpost/repost an old batch that was sent to Quickbooks Online prior to enabling auto post/unpost you may receive a notification that states, “we were unable to delete the entry from your Quickbooks Online account." This is because we do not have a record of ever sending the batch to Quickbooks Online. In this case, you want to ensure you remove any existing batch entries from Quickbooks Online prior to reposting the batch. This will ensure you avoid duplication of batch entries that were sent previously.