Build engaging email marketing campaigns with the Rhythm + Mailchimp integration.
Note: Rhythm's query engine powers this integration. To learn more about query management, check out these knowledge base articles.
Configuring the Integration
- Log into Rhythm and navigate to Security & Settings > Integration > Mailchimp (under the Marketing Automation section).
- Click “Create Mailchimp Account” located at the top right.
- You will be redirected to Mailchimp, use your Mailchimp credentials to complete the integration setup.
Using the Integration
Important: Mailchimp provides a set of predefined merge fields which, when utilized, offer valuable statistical information. The list of these fields is provided below. To take full advantage of these capabilities, we strongly recommend incorporating these fields into your queries. If certain information is not available within a contact record, rest assured the fields will still be included in the transmission, albeit not in the predefined format that Mailchimp anticipates.
Recommended Rhythm Fields
- First Name
- Last Name
- Preferred Address Line1
- Preferred Address Line2 (optional)
- Preferred Address City
- Preferred Address State
- Preferred Address Postal Code
- Preferred Address Country
- Preferred Phone Number
Dashboard view of recommended fields and partially added fields
Contact record with recommended fields
- Now that we have our Mailchimp account setup, we can begin to integrate our saved queries.
- If you would like to integrate an existing query, ensure the query has the email field present in the results. Otherwise, you can start by creating a new query.
Helpful hint: You cannot integrate private queries. Ensure the query you are using or creating is public.
- If you're using an existing query, click the dropdown menu to the right of the query and select Integrate.
- When the query integrations pop-up is displayed, you can give your list a name of your choice or keep the default. If this list is a suppression list, check the box. Finally, check the box for your Mailchimp account and click Save Changes.
- Start by selecting New Query in the top-right corner. Once completed run your query to ensure the results are correct. Name the query and click Save Changes.
- Once the query is saved, it should show on your list of saved queries. You can follow the steps above under “Existing Query” to begin the email integration. You can also click on the query name from the saved query menu, select options, and click Integrate to complete the email integration.
View Email Integrations
- Select Queries from the left side menu pane.
- Select Integrated Queries from the query menu.
- Once loaded, you will see all of your integrated email queries that are being synced.
- Clicking on the name will open the query in the query designer. You can modify this query and update the fields if you choose. Remember to save any changes once completed.
- If you click the green pencil to the far right of the query name, you will be presented with a pop-up allowing you to change the name. You can also update the query to be a suppression list or uncheck the account to stop this list from being synced. Ensure you save changes.
- Lastly, the red trash can will delete this email integration and stop it from being synced to Mailchimp.
Helpful hint: When deleting a list from the Rhythm console, you will need to manually delete the list from Mailchimp. The same is true when editing a list name, Rhythm will create a new list and the old list will need to be deleted manually from the Mailchimp Console.
Q: If a contact record is sent with partial information how do we fix it?
A: Once the contact record is resolved within Rhythm, it will resolve itself on the next push.
Q: When does the sync occur?
A: We push all Mailchimp lists every hour.
Q: Mailchimp offers members the ability to unsubscribe from a list, when users are pushed will they be resubscribed?
A: No, we get all list members with their status prior to pushing any list. We maintain this status and pass it along to Mailchimp.
Q: If I change my query and remove some members from a list will they be deleted from the list in Mailchimp?
A: Yes, we dynamically respond to alterations in your queries. If you remove some members, these individuals will be archived during the subsequent data push, thus preserving their statistical data. Should you decide to reintroduce these members to the query in the future, they will be promptly unarchived during the next data synchronization.
Note: Archiving is a batch operation and can take some time if you're sending a very large list change.
Q: My list is not showing up in Mailchimp, what is the problem?
A: First, check your subscription to ensure you have not met your limit for creating lists. If the problem persists, please contact our support team.